Translate

Thursday 19 February 2015

Week 51, 6-11th Jan, Zona Cafetera

I am finally out of Cali! Forever! No more night shifts! No more salsa. On Tuesday I arrived to Salento to find out that this week is Feria de Salento and it is full of people from all over Colombia partying on the main plaza. Will this partying ever end?



Salento and around
First day I spent walking around Salento: the main crowd was concentrated on the plaza, but surrounding forests, fincas and villages seemed unaffected by village craziness. It was nice circuit walk, where I got lost, found coffee with galletas and some locals to talk with.
Celebrations of Salento's 157 (or so) years are concentrated on the main plaza with 4 different 'music corners' competing with each other: scene with live music, closeby bars with bochata, where young people dance, crossover music on the other side of the square, where people drink and play a game of who can hold electrodes for longer... They also drink enormous amounts of aguardiente and dance whatever is playing. As normal.
I have also been to coffee tour organzed through the hostel. The hostel owner, retired Englishman, also owns coffee finca 10 mins walk from the hostel. He also leads the coffee tours and posseses loads of knoweledge about the poduct (well, I guess he should if he owns the farm), types of coffee (arabica and robusta, traditional and classic), its history and processing. I am too lazy to write this down: if I ever need it, it is in wiki.

Street in the morning

Street in the evening
Salento



Different stages of coffee production

The gym


Montanas
Salento is one of the entrances to Los Nevados National Park (Los Nevados means snow peaks), so guess what? I had to go. Unfortunately, I've been told that it is dangerous to wonder in the Park on my own due to high chances of fogs and, hence, low, visibility. So I booked a day hike. The hike would also go through Valle del Cocora with its wax palms, main Salento's attraction, so I would not need to go again.
We went up for about 1.5 km to the finca where we spent a night and came back from the other side next day. We walked through rain forest and paramo, we were quite close to one of the three nevados (yes there are only 3 nevados in the park).

Famous palm trees


Condor

Giant rooster

Nevado de Santa Isabel

No comments:

Post a Comment